Accommodation in and around Stamford gets booked up early in the year. General information about hotels, bed and breakfast and other accommodation can be obtained from:
- Stamford Tourist Information Centre: 01780 755611 or click here
- Visit Lincolnshire: click here
- Peterborough Destination Centre: 01733 452336 or click here
The 2019 Box Office will open at the end of April 2019. Further details on box office dates and opening times will be published in January 2019.
Burghley House and Gardens will be closed during the Horse Trials. For Burghley House enquiries, please telephone 01780 752451 or visit www.burghley.co.uk
Three ATMs are available around the shopping village.
Baby Changing Facilities & Children’s Crèche
Baby changing facilities are available; for the Public behind the Main Arena South Stand and for Members behind the Members’ Enclosure marquee. No Creche facility is available.
Children at Land Rover Burghley
Children are very welcome at Land Rover Burghley and there are always a range of activities to keep the smaller members of the family entertained. Details of activities for 2019 will be published in the Spring of 2019 but as a guide, please see below for details of activities in 2018.
New for 2018 was the Family Maze at Discovery Valley where families put their sense of direction to the test in our beautiful box hedge maze. Everyone was welcome to come and have a go but children 12 and under had to be accompanied by an adult. Our ever popular face painters were back again on the Saturday and Sunday of the event providing free face painting near the Country Living Makers’ Marquee in Discovery Valley while “Have A Go Dog Agility” was a real hit on all four days of the event courtesy of leading dog food brand Autarky who welcomed our visitors of all ages to bring along their four legged friends to undertake the agility and be given an Autarky goody bag as a reward! Younger visitors also had the opportunity to “drive” remote control Land Rovers and loved The Field’s Gundog demonstration in the Main Arena on Thursday lunchtime. In addition, our Charity of the Year, The Gurkha Welfare Trust, were on site in 2018 with a range of fun activities for all the family.
If coming with children to Land Rover Burghley please make sure that you collect your free children’s ID wristband from a programme kiosk, the box office, organiser’s office, information point, face painting stand, the maze or the site office as these help us to quickly reunite lost children with their parents. Thank you to ACD (National) Ltd for supporting this initiative.
Contact DetailsBurghley Horse Trials Office
Lincs, PE9 2LH
Tel: +44 (0)1780 752 131
Fax: +44 (0)1780 752 982
Box Office: 0844 581 4980
Event Director: Elizabeth Inman
Tradestands: Jacqueline Stevens
Competition: Anne Whitton (Three Day Event)
Cross Country Walks
The number of people wishing to host course walks continues to increase – some to earn the promoter a fee, some to promote a sponsor, others on a casual basis. The ground compaction caused by so many pairs of feet causes long-term damage to the sward, reducing the effectiveness of the irrigation, which is essential to provide good going. We are happy for the ‘Leader’ to walk on the cross country track, but request that they instruct their party to remain outside the track.
Burghley has invested heavily in sophisticated irrigation equipment to ensure competitors the best possible going. The cross country track is fenced all year round and receives first class ground management from Philip Herbert – our Clerk of the Course. This policy has been rewarded and riders travel their horses from all over the world to compete at Burghley.
If you wish to organise a course walk, please contact Katherine Bliss (email@example.com) / 01780 752131), to confirm: date, approximate time, anticipated numbers etc. As in previous years, if you are charging for your course walk, we request a minimum contribution of 15% of your total takings, which will be donated to Mark Davies Injured Riders Fund. Cheques made payable to MDIRF should be sent no later than 1 October 2018 to:Burghley Horse Trials Office
Barnack Road, Stamford
Lincs PE9 2LH
Thank you in advance for your co-operation and contribution to this worthwhile charity which supports those who have sustained an injury in an equestrian related accident.
Future Dates: 5 September – 8 September 2019
Please note this is a week later than the 2018 event due to the first Saturday in September being September 7th in 2019.
- Admission:each disabled visitor requires the appropriate admission ticket and one accompanying carer will be admitted free of charge.
- Parking: Limited forward parking is available to blue badge holders. The Disabled Car Park can be accessed through Gate 4: ‘Station Gate’ – to access this car park, you will need to clearly display your blue badge. Visitors wishing to use this car park are advised to arrive early, particularly on Saturday as spaces are allocated on a first come, first served basis. There is a shuttle service in operation from the Disabled Car Park to the East Stand each day. This will be in operation between 8.30am-11am and 3pm-5.30pm on Thursday and Friday, 7.30am-10.30am and 3pm-6pm on Saturday and 8.30am-11am and 3pm-5.30pm on Sunday. If pick up or drop off from the East Stand or Disabled Car Park is required outside of these hours please call 07930 048575. (The shuttle service is able to accommodate wheelchairs).
- There is a limited amount of forward parking available to blue badge holders at the front of each car park on a first come first served basis; blue badge holders diverted to or entering gates other than Gate 4 will be parked as close as possible to the front of the car park at that time.
- Main Arena Viewing: there will be a limited number of spaces to purchase in the North Stand, Block E for disabled visitors with wheelchairs/scooters who are Blue Badge holders. These bookings can only be made via our Box Office.
- Toilets: there are disabled access toilets situated around the showground and cross country course.
- Mobility scooters: Subject to availability, Event Mobility provides electric scooters and manual wheelchairs for the use of our disabled, elderly and mobility impaired visitors. For further enquiries, please contact Event Mobility on 01386 725391, or to book in advance (recommended), visit: www.eventmobility.org.uk. All proceeds go to Event Mobility. Please be aware that advance bookings cannot be made by phone and that this facility often becomes fully booked before the Event. Anyone collecting an Event Mobility vehicle should enter through Gate 4: ‘Station Gate‘. 2018 Event Update: All scooters fully booked for Thursday and Saturday.
- Temporary Impairment: Please note that our disabled visitor facilities cannot cater to people with temporary impairments such as broken bones, healing wounds and women who are pregnant. We kindly ask you to respect this.
Dogs accompanying visitors at Burghley Horse Trials must be kept under control and on a short lead at all times (extending leads are not permitted). Take particular care in busy areas not to inconvenience other visitors and our exhibitors, and in the vicinity of the Cross Country fences. Try to avoid taking your dog into confined areas where food is being served or consumed. Please ensure that your dog is sufficiently mature to withstand the pressures and crowds experienced at a large outdoor Event. Please clean up after your dog – bags are available around the showground.
Assistance Dogs only are permitted in the grandstand and Members’ Enclosure.
There are no special parking concessions for vehicles containing dogs and if distressed, they will be removed from vehicles by the RSPCA/Police.
Dog Crèche – We strongly recommend that visitors with dogs use the dog crèche NEWLY sited adjacent to the Exhibition Village (please see map below). Open daily 9.00 am – 5.00 pm. Dogs can be left for two hours at a time Thursday and Friday, two hours at a time Saturday am and four hours at a time Saturday pm and Sunday am/pm. The charges are as follows:
Thursday and Friday: £3 per hour. Saturday and Sunday £5 per hour or £15 for 4 hours (ideal to cover Sunday afternoon session of competition/presentation). All proceeds will go to Samsalin Dog Rescue.
Booking is advisable (essential for Sunday afternoon). For further information, call Steve Penistone at Samsalin Dog Rescue on 07764 489 919 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Food and Drink
There is an excellent selection of bar and catering facilities to suit all tastes, from a more formal luncheon in the Members’ Enclosure to worldly delicacies in the food walk and catering stalls on the showground and Cross Country course.
Getting around the Showground
The terrain in the Park may not be suitable for visitors with certain medical conditions. We advise you to wear practical footwear and to be aware that it could be difficult to move around freely and easily.
Getting to Burghley
The Event is clearly sign-posted. Using satnav, the postcode PE9 3JY will direct you towards Burghley House. Once you see the temporary yellow signs, please follow these and turn off your satnav.
- Members’ car pass: Gate 1-Pilsgate Lodge on Barnack Road (B1443).
- Public and season car pass & disabled badge holders: Gate 4-Station Gate (B1443) & Gate 5-Bottle Lodges (B1081).
Particularly on Saturday, you are strongly advised to allow an extra hour for the last 10 miles of your journey.
NB The Police or Traffic Management company may be required to redirect you to another entrance. The Traffic Management outside of Burghley Park is within the authority of the Police.
The train line to Stamford runs from Birmingham, Leicester, Nuneaton or Peterborough. It takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes to walk into the Event from Stamford station. National Rail Enquiries: 08457 484950, www.nationalrail.co.uk
Please telephone the Travel Line public transport information line on 0871 200 2233.
Helicopters and Light Aircraft – it is not possible to land within Burghley Park
Please contact the following local airfields to make prior arrangements:
- Aerolease Ltd, Conington, Peterborough (01487) 834161, email@example.com
- Sibson Airfield, Wansford, Peterborough, PE8 6NE (01832) 280289
Nearest Main International Airports
- East Midlands Airport – 46 miles
- Birmingham Airport – 71 miles
- London Stansted Airport – 72 miles
- London Luton Airport – 74 miles
- London City Airport – 98 miles
- London Heathrow Airport – 104 miles
- London Gatwick Airport – 134 miles
A recent innovation for Land Rover Burghley is the introduction of Lakeside Pavilions. These beautifully crafted wooden pavilions courtesy of Crown Pavilions, are available to hire on the Thursday, Friday or Sunday of the Event and come with their own private garden, indoor and outdoor furniture, one power socket and closed circuit TV so that you can keep up with the action. There is parking space for one vehicle behind the pavilion and the package includes one car pass and four admission tickets. The pavilion can accommodate up to 12 people and admission tickets for these additional eight guests can be purchased when booking. Pavilions cost £650+VAT for Thursday, Friday or Sunday and must be booked via the Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials Administration Office. To book for Thursday, Friday or Sunday 2018 or to be added to the Waiting List for Saturday 2019 please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have lost or found an item during the Event, please go to the Organiser’s Office (opposite the Members’ Enclosure). After the Event, please telephone 01780 752131 to check for lost property. We retain lost property for three months, after which point any unclaimed items are donated to a local charity shop.
‘The Burghley Collection by Joules ’ merchandise is available to purchase from mid-August by clicking here.
- Gates open: 7.30 am
- Members’ Enclosure open: 8.00 am
- Shops open: 9.00 am – 5.30 am Thursday to Saturday, 9 am – 5.00 pm Sunday
- Please note that the showground closes at 5.00 pm on Sunday and there is no admittance to Burghley Park after 3.30 pm on this last day.
Particularly on Saturday, you are strongly advised to allow an extra hour for the last 10 miles of your journey.
Please use these pages to access translations in the following languages:
Click here to access a list of past CCI winners
Click here to access a list of past Young Event Horse winners
Available to purchase at the first Horse Inspection on Wednesday at 4.00 pm and from Thursday morning of the Event onwards around the showground.
Running Orders & Score Sheets
These are produced as soon as the information becomes available and can be collected from underneath the Scoreboard (opposite the Members’ Enclosure) or on the British Eventing Stand. Please kindly put your donations in the tins provided.
To watch the Dressage and Show Jumping phases in the Main Arena you will need grandstand tickets and these sell out quickly, particularly for Sunday. However, you can follow the competition on our giant screens around the showground at the following locations:
- Next to the Scoreboard (all four days)
- Exhibition Village (all four days)
- Trout Hatchery (Saturday only)
- Main Arena (Saturday only)
- Picnic Area by Rural Crafts (Sunday only)
Shops are open Thursday to Saturday: 9.00 am – 5.30 pm, Sunday: 9.00 am – 5.00 pm.
Shoppers’ Drop – Open from 10am daily
There are two Shoppers’ Drop facilities where you can leave your shopping, which are located behind the East Grandstand (adjacent to the Members’ Enclosure) and at the Information Point (near the Rural Crafts pavilion).
Entries have now opened for the ever popular SEIB Burghley Sponsored Ride which takes place on the afternoon of Sunday September 2nd. Riders will once again be able to enjoy a large section of the Cross Country course and inspect iconic fences from horseback with The Trout Hatchery, Cottesmore Leap and The Rolex Combination always favourites for photo opportunities. This will be the fifteenth Sponsored Ride held on the Sunday of the Event with over £240,000 having now been raised for charity. The number of riders taking part has varied from 300 – 500 each year, with the Ride being suitable for horses of all ages, sizes and abilities. The Ride allows walking, trotting and some designated cantering areas but there is no jumping. To enter or read further details, including a list of frequently asked questions, please visit the website www.burghleysponsoredride.co.uk or email email@example.com
- Ace Cabs: 01780 767676
- Harrier Cabs: 01780 765175
- 3 Star Taxis: 01780 753300
- Clapham Taxis: 01780 764161
- First Choice Taxis: 01780 752748
- Premier Cabs Of Stamford: 01780 766155
- Star Taxis: 01780 763245
- Ag Silver Taxis: 01780 482800
- 1st Class Cars: 01780 767733
- Carlton Cabs: 01780 755755
2019 Television Coverage will be confirmed in August 2019. As a guide, please see below for the 2018 coverage details:
Saturday 1 September – BBC Red Button (Freeview Channel 250)
11:00 – 17:15 BBC Red Button & www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
Live Cross Country coverage presented by Clare Balding
Commentary Nick Luck, Ian Stark, Nicole Brown and Sam Watson
Sunday 2 September – BBC 2
15:00 – 17:00 Highlights of the Cross Country leading into the live final Jumping
Commentary Nick Luck and Ian Stark
Catch up on the above programming on BBC iPlayer
Live Streaming on Facebook @BurghleyHorse
Wednesday 29th August –
1600 – 1700: First Horse Inspection
Thursday 30th & Friday 31st August
0930 – 1630: Dressage
Sunday 2nd September
From 0900 – lunchtime: Horse Inspection and morning Jumping
1630: Prize Giving
For UK viewers: Sunday afternoon coverage is only available on BBC2
For New Zealand viewers: Saturday and Sunday coverage is only available on Sky Sports NZ
Rest of the World Viewers: Saturday and Sunday coverage livestreamed on Facebook @BurghleyHorseInternational
Burghley Horse Trials Ltd is the sole owner of the worldwide broadcast and electronic media rights for the Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials: including broadcasting on any and all television, radio, and internet platforms.
Any organisation and/or individual wishing to broadcast or requiring footage of the Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials for any use whatsoever must apply in advance and in writing for a License.
Initial applications should be made to Sophie Attwood: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2019 Box Office will open at the end of April 2019. Further details on box office opening hours and dates will be published in January 2019.
Toilets are situated around the showground and cross country course. These are marked on the map in the programme and on You Are Here boards around the showground.
What to Wear
Due to the Park’s terrain, it may not be suitable for spectators with certain medical conditions. Everybody is advised to wear suitable footwear and should be aware that there may be times when it could be difficult to move around freely and easily.
The seasonal weather at Burghley can range from being hot and dry to torrential rain; please ensure that you dress comfortably and come prepared.