Friday, September 04, 2009 18:31 BST
MARES MAKE THEIR MARK
For just the third time a mare has won a Burghley Dubarry Young Event Horse final at The Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials. Alex Postolowsky rode the Dutch-bred black mare Azarah to victory in the 36-strong four-year-old class. The combination went into the final section with a strong lead after the mare with Concorde and Corland bloodlines scored highly in the jumping section. Alex took the ride on in February for Yorkshire based owner Rachael Evison who bought her as a two-year-old from auction in Holland. “I bought her to show jump and then bred a foal from her using my former international jumper Contiki that I used to compete,” said Rachael. “I sent her to Alex in February as I thought she could do well in this class and this is all she has done – she is just unflappable,” said Rachael.
It will be a double celebration for the Billy Stud tonight after a close second place for Pippa Funnell and Billy Buck – the full brother to her second placed five-year-old Billy Beware. Both are by international show jumper Kannan out of a half-bred Cavalier mare. Like his brother, Billy Buck also gained top marks in the final section. “He is quite similar to him and definitely one I want to go eventing – you put fences in front of him and he jumps,” said Pippa, “He has a lovely attitude”.
Jane Starkey’s homebred mare Miss Grace who under Matthew Heath gained the highest dressage mark in this class, stood third. The chestnut mare, the last of 12, is by the British-based Dutch-bred stallion Monte Carlo.
Mares made their mark in this class; Angela Mace’s grey Dimaggio daughter Faerie Dianimo out of the Catherston Dazzler mare Faerie Dancer was fourth and the Puddick’s homebred Concerto mare The Corn Dolly ninth.
Burghley Dubarry Young Event Horse
1) Azarah (Namelus) – Alex Postolowsky 80.0
2) Billy Buck (Kannan) – Pippa Funnell 79.5
3) Miss Grace (Mongte Carlo) Matthew Heath 79.0
4) Faerie Dianimo (Dimaggio) – Angela Mace 75.5
5) Athleet (Tenerife) – Bill Levett 75.5
6) Trevidden (Fleetwater Opposition) – Sarah Cohen 75.0
7) Watts Burn (Zero Watt) – Nicky Roncoroni 71.5
8) Sand Haven (Sandro Boy Junior) – Nicky Roncoroni 71.0
9) The Corn Dolly (Concerto) – Leonard Goerens 71.0
10) Alexander (Furore) – Tanya Bridgeman – 70.5