Friday, August 31, 2007 18:11 GMT
EYE CANDY IS NOT JUST A PRETTY FACE
Four-year-old Burghley Young Event Horse winner Eye Candy gained a place in the record books as the first mare to win a final.
The Irish-bred chestnut, ridden by Jay Halim, gained high marks for jumping ability and the top marks for suitability and potential from Althea Gifford to head the closely contested and high scoring final. “She is a lovely natural and athletic mover with a good frame that will mature into a lovely horse,” said Althea.
A traditional cross of Irish Draught and Thoroughbred blood, Eye Candy is by the Thoroughbred sire Moothyeb, a son of Dayjur, who retired to stud just six years. He is already making his mark as a sire however having now produced two National young horse champions – a son of Moothyeb won the two-year-old All Ireland Championship last month.
Owned by Mr and Mrs David Jackson in partnership with dressage rider and trainer Spencer Wilton she has been produced by Gloucestershire based Jay since being bought from Ireland last year. “We saw her trot up and that was enough to convince us that she was the one,” said a delighted Jay. “As yet she has done very little. The plan is to establish her show jumping before she begins any serious cross-country. She has a long way to go yet – we are looking at the bigger picture.”
Helen Wilson took second place with Sharon Stone’s Criminal Law gelding That’s Another Fine Mess while nineteen-year-old James Sommerville was third with Vanessa Fleming’s Weeton Whin. The upstanding gelding based at the Yorkshire Riding Centre by the Dutch show jumping sire Corland gained the highest mark of the day in the show jumping phase scoring 38 out of 40.
1) Eye Candy by Moothyeb (J Halim) 81
2) That’s Another Fine Mess by Criminal Law (H Wilson) 79
3) Weeton Whin by Corland (J Sommerville) 78
4) Tullabeg Roller by High Roller (A Lidstone) 78
5) Star Hero by Devil’s Jump (S Wynne Morris) 78
6) High Time by Highline (G Law) 77
7) Watermill Wira by Montivani (R Lee Woolf) 77
8) Elite Opposition by Fleetwater Opposition (R Edge) 77
9) Wagner VU by Ludwig (C Powell) 76
10) Wise Guy by Sir Corland (R Smith) 75