Country: New Zealand
New Zealand Olympian and current World Number One Andrew, is based near Marlborough in Wiltshire and has lived in the UK for over thirty years.
Considered the most prolific event rider ever, London 2012 was his sixth Olympic appearance (and seventh Olympic selection) where he won team bronze and finished in individual fourth place. In 1992 (Barcelona) he won Olympic team silver and in 1996 (Atlanta) team bronze.
He won team gold at the 1990 WEG and in 2010 was a member of the NZ team that won bronze at the WEG in Lexington where he also won his first individual medal – bronze with Nereo. He has also won Burghley three times, 1995, 2000 and 2012 (Avebury) and while he holds the record for the most Badminton completions (33) he has yet to win.
Last year (2012) his winning streak continued after Burghley with wins at Blenheim (Quimbo) and Boekelo (Quimbo) and he ended the year on a high note winning the four-star at Pau with Nereo – his second 4* win within six weeks – and finished top of the BE rider rankings for a record 14th time over 500 points ahead of the rest.
He started 2013 where he had left off; winning Lexington four-star (Quimbo), both CIC3* classes at Chatsworth, Luhmuhlen four-star (Mr Cruise Control) and Barbury Castle CIC3* (Avebury) although his luck ran out at Gatcombe. He is however the current leader and invincible in the HSBC Classics Series which comes to its conclusion at Burghley.
The third of six children Andrew was brought up on a dairy farm in Kihikihi, North Island. After leaving education Andrew joined his brother who was retraining racehorses and rode for local racehorse trainers. He came to England in 1980 aged 19 and his first job was grooming for Mark Todd and Southern Comfort at Badminton (who then won). Within four-years Andrew had two Badminton horses and was selected for the NZ team at the 1984 Olympic Games.
Andrew is based near Marlborough with partner Wiggy Channer with whom he has two children. He also has two older children from his former marriage.
Avebury, owned by Rosemary and Mark Barlow was bred by Andrew. He is a 13-year-old by the leading event sire Jumbo out of a thoroughbred mare by Bairn.
Calico Joe, owned by the rider, is an 11-year-old Thoroughbred bred for the track by former event rider Alfie Buller at his former Scarvagh Stud in Ireland. He is by Clerkenwell (a son of Sadlers Wells) out of a mare by Beau Sher.
Mr Cruise Control a 12-year-old ISH owned by Robin and Nicola Salmon, is by the show jumping stallion Cruising (also the sire four-star horses Master Crusoe, Electric Cruise and First Mate) bred at Mary McCann’s Hartwell Stud. Mr Cruise Control is out of a mare by the Thoroughbred Broussard.
Nereo, owned by Deborah Sellar, is a 13-year-old gelding. He was bred in Spain by former rider Ramon Beca and is by the thoroughbred Fines out of Berganza by the Hanoverian Golfi. Nereo is a full brother to Oliver Townends Burghley ride Armada and a full brother to Andrew’s former rides Fenicio, Homero and Oplitas (now competed by Giovanni Uglotti) and Silfio.
- 2013 – Gatcombe CIC3* 6th Nereo, Ret Nereo, Ret Viscount George
- 2013 – Barbury Castle CIC3* 1st Avebury, 5th Nereo, EL Viscount George
- 2013 – Aachen CICO3* 25th Quimbo
- 2013 – Luhmuhlen CCI4* 1st Mr Cruise Control, 6th Rathmoyle King, EL Qwanza
- 2013 – Chatsworth 1st Mr Cruise Control, 1st Viscount George
- 2013 – Badminton CCI4* 3rd Nereo, 11th Avebury
- 2013 – Lexington CCI4* 1st Quimbo, 3rd Calico Joe
- 2012 – Pau CCI4* 1st Nereo, 7th Mr Cruise Control
- 2012 – Boekelo CCI3* 1st Quimbo
- 2012 – Blenheim CIC3* 1st Quimbo
- 2012 – Burghley CCI4* 1st Avebury, 13th Calico Joe
- 2012 – Hartpury CIC3* 2nd Avebury, 5th Mr Cruise Control
- 2012 – London Olympic Games 4th Nereo, team Bronze
- 2012 – Aachen CICO3* 5th Nereo
- 2012 – Barbury Castle CIC3* 1st Avebury, 2nd Quimbo
- 2012 – Luhmuhlen CCI4* 4th Calico Joe, 21st Shady Grey, 26th Mr Cruise Control
- 2012 – Bramham CCI3* 11th Tristar
- 2012 – Bramham CIC3* 2nd Nereo, 5th Avebury
- 2012 – Saumur CCI3* 3rd Viscount George, 9th Quimbo
- 2012 – Lexington CCI4* 7th Qwanza, Ret Calico Joe
- 2012 – Belton CIC3* 20th Calico Joe
- 2011 – Pau CCI4* 2nd Mr Cruise Control & 23rd Armada
- 2011 – Burghley CCI4* 2nd Nereo & 8th Avebury
- 2011 – Blair Castle CCI3* 1st Calico Jo, 4th Shady Grey, 23rd Armada
- 2011 – Gatcombe British Open 1st Nereo, 2nd Avebury, 11th Qwanza
- 2011 – Hartpury CIC3* 1st Mr Cruise Control
- 2011 – Luhmuhlen CCI4* 10th Armada, 14th Mr Cruise Control
- 2011 – Bramham CCI3* 3rd Armada
- 2011 – Saumur CCI3* 4th Qwanza, 10th Shady Grey
- 2011 – Badminton 10th Avebury & 12th Nereo
- 2010 – Pau CCI4* 9th Mr Cruise Control
- 2010 – Burghley CCI4* 14th, Barbury Castle CIC*** 3rd, Luhmuhlen CCI**** 10th Armada
- 2010 – Burghley CCI4* 22nd, Hartpury CIC*** 2nd, Avebury
- 2010 – Badminton 11th Nereo, 27th Avebury
- 2010 – Lexington WEG 3rd, Hartpury CIC*** 4th, Aachen CICO*** 1st Nereo
- 2009 – Gatcombe CCI3*W 9th; Bramham CCI3*1st; Barbury Castle CIC3* 2nd (Nereo)
- 2009 – Pau CCI4* 13th; Burghley CCI4* 21st; Barbury Castle CIC3* 7th (Armada)
- 2009 - Saumur CCI3* 1st; Aachen CCI3* 7th; Blenheim CIC3* 8/9 2nd (Avebury)
- 2009 – Badminton 23rd Armada
- 2008 – Burghley CCI4* 8th; Bramham CCI3* 3rd (Armada)
- 2008 – Saumur CCI3* 4th Nereo
- 2008 – Olympic Games Elim Lord Killinghurst
- 2007 – Badminton 5th (Lord Killinghurst) 8th (Henry Tankerville)
- 2005 – Badminton 4th (Lord Killinghurst)
- 2004 – Olympic Games 61st
- 2004 – Badminton 2nd (Lord Killinghurst)
- 2000 – Burghley CCI4* 1st Mr Smiffy
- 1996 – Olympic Games team bronze
- 1995 – Burghley CCI4* 1st Buckley Province
- 1992 – Olympic Games 16th Spinning Rhombus; team silver
- 1990 – WEG team gold
- 1984 – Olympic Games 28th Kahlua