British-based Australian rider Sam grew up on a small farm near Melbourne and started riding his mothers’ homebred Welsh section B ponies. After gaining a BA in geography Sam took a year out to travel and to earn money took a job with UK based Blyth Tait and then a show jumping yard in New York. On returning to the UK he based himself with Matt Ryan and after three years started his own yard.
Success with Private Colin and Connigar Bay meant that in 2004 and ’08 he was short-listed for the Olympic Games and in 2009 he gained his best result ever coming third at Badminton with Happy Times – a German-bred gelding who was originally sold through the Brightwells sales. Last year the combination was selected for the WEG but failed to complete. They made amends at Badminton this spring, where they finished fourth.
Sam is married to British event rider and photographer Lucy and in 2009 the pair moved to a yard on the Dorset-Somerset border. As well as riding Sam enjoys fishing and gardening.
- 2011 – Badminton CCI**** 4th Happy Times
- 2010 – Boekelo CCI*** 15th Danaan Prince
- 2010 – Hartpury CIC*** 19th Happy Times
- 2010 – Chatsworth CIC***W 1st Happy Times
- 2010 – Belton Park CIC*** 1st Happy Times
- 2009 – Burghley CCI**** 3rd Happy Times
- 2008 – Saumur CCI*** 1st Happy Times
- 2007 – Burghley CCI**** 11th Connigar Bay
- 2006 – Burghley CCI**** 8th Connigar Bay
- 2005 – Burghley CCI**** 15th Connigar Bay
- 2004 - Reserve for Athens Olympics for the Australian team