Country: Great Britain
A member of the British team that won silver at the London Olympics William is one of the World’s most successful riders. He has topped the World Rankings three times (2002, 2009 & 2010) and been British number one seven times.
He has won seven team gold and two individual silver medals at European Championships as well as two Olympic team silver (2004 & 2012) and bronze (2008). His World Championship success includes team bronze (2002), team silver (2006) and in 2010 at Lexington, team gold and individual silver. He is also the three-times winner of the HSBC Classics Series – the valuable accumulator series that ties Europe’s premier 4*events together.
He is the only rider to have won Burghley on six occasions (1994, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2008 & 2011), and the only rider to have won five (Badminton, Burghley, Luhmuhlen, Lexington & Pau) of the World’s six 4* events (he has yet to win Adelaide). He has, to date, won 51 international three-day events – he gained his fifty first at Bramham this year.
William represented Britain at Junior and Young Rider European Championships winning his first medals (individual Junior silver in 1987 & YR team gold in 1988 & ‘99). He first completed Badminton aged 20 but had to wait until 2004 to achieve his ambition of winning. After school he gained a languages degree from London University before setting up his own yard.
His parents, Oliver and Marietta, rode at Badminton and Marietta was in the British Team in the 1960’s. William is married to Alice (Plunkett) a former 4* event rider and a presenter of Channel 4 racing. The couple have two sons Oliver (7) and Thomas (6) and a daughter Chloe (6mths). They are based in Dorset where William has created a modern training yard. William enjoys skiing and fishing.
2012 Lexington and Burghley winner Parklane Hawk, owned by Catherine Witt, is a 12-year-old New Zealand-bred thoroughbred gelding by Grosvenor. He is out of a mare by Brilliant Invader sire of many international event horses including 1996 Olympic gold medallist Reddy Teddy and 4* horses Mister Maori and Koyuna Sundancer.
Chilli Morning, owned by Christopher and Lisa Stone, is a 12-year-old German-bred stallion (Brandenberg). He is by the thoroughbred Phantomic a son of Secreto (by Secretariat) out of Koralle by the show jumping sire Kolibri.
Neuf des Coeurs, owned by Judith Skinner, Mr David and Mrs Margie Hallm is 12-year-old Selle Francais by the SF Nidor Platiere out of a thoroughbred mare by RB Chesne a son of Brigadier Gerard.
- 2013 – Luhmuhlen CCI4* 3rd Neuf Des Coeurs, 4th Lionheart
- 2013 – Bramham CCI3* 1st, Chilli Morning
- 2013 – Badminton CCI4* 5th Parklane Hawk; 53rd Oslo
- 2013 – Lexington Kentucky CCI4* Seacookie TSF 2nd, Ret Chilli Morning
- 2013 – Burnham Market CIC3* 9th Lionheart, 21 Chilli Morning, 22 Cool Mountain, 25th Oslo
- 2012 – Pau CCI4* 4th Bay My Hero, 5th Chilli Morning
- 2012 – Blenheim CCI3* 1st Seacookie TSF, 2nd Bay My Hero
- 2012 – Burghley CCI4* 3rd Parklane Hawk, RET Seacookie TSF
- 2012 – London OG, Lionheart (team silver)
- 2012 – Aachen CICO3* 6th Neuf des Coeurs
- 2012 – Bramham CCI3* 1st Chilli Morning
- 2012 – Bramham CIC3* 1st Neuf Des Coeurs, 12th Lionheart
- 2012 – Tattersalls CCI3* 1st Bay My Hero
- 2012 – Lexington KY CCI4* 1st Parklane Hawk
- 2011 – Pau CCI*** 1st Oslo, 3rd Lionheart, 25th Macchiato
- 2011 – Blenheim CIC*** 1st Oslo, 3rd Lionheart
- 2011 – Burghley CCI**** 1st Parklane Hawk, 18th Neuf des Coeurs
- 2011 – Luhmuhlen CH-EU-C3* 7th Cool Mountain
- 2011 – Tattersalls CCI*** 1st Oslo
- 2010 – Burghley CCI4* 2nd Seacookie
- 2010 – Bramham CCI*** 5th Neuf Des Couers
- 2010 – Lexington CCI**** 1st Cool Mountain
- 2009 – Burghley CCI**** 7th Seacookie
- 2009 – Blair Castle CCI*** 1st Cool Mountain
- 2009 – Fontainebeau CH-EU-3* 4th, team gold Idalgo
- 2008 – Hong Kong Olympics 12th, team bronze Parkmore Ed
- 2005 – Blenheim Europeans team gold, individual silver Tamarillo
- 2004 - Athens Olympics team silver Tamarillo
- 2004 – Badminton CCI4*1st (Tamarillo)
- 2002 - Burghley CCI**** 1st Highland Lad
- 2002 – Jerez WEG team bronze Tamarillo
- 1997 – Burghley Open Europeans team Gold and individual silver Cosmopolitan
- 1995 – Gatcombe British Open 1st Chaka
- 1994 - Burghley CCI**** 1st Chaka