Country: Great Britain
Tom first sprung to prominence in 1999 when he finished second in the Young Rider National Championship at Bramham with Barnabys Ballard. The pair then represented Great Britain at that year’s Young Rider European Championship at Necarne Castle winning team silver.
Since then Tom has produced a succession of young horses from scratch to advanced level, including his Burghley ride Liberal.
Tom was born in Norfolk and after school went to Ireland to pursue a career in eventing which was followed by various placements before he set up his own yard in his home county. Tom, and his wife Sophie (nee Balfour), who evented to 4*level, now run Team Crisp from their yard in East Sussex. The 60 acre yard also has a stud of five broodmares in the hope of breeding future event horses.
As well as being a professional rider Tom is also a retained firefighter – when the call comes he has to drop whatever he is doing to become part of a vital team.
Tom and Sophie have two young sons; Harry and Hugo.
Liberal, owned by Mr David Corney is a 14-year-old Selle Francais by the Anglo Arab Ryon D’Anzex out of a mare by the leading French sire Uriel. He was acquired from Tim Brown in 2004.
- 2013 – Hopetoun CIC3* 5th Liberal
- 2013 – Barbury Castle CIC3* 28th Liberal
- 2013 – Luhmuhlen CCI4* EL Liberal
- 2013 – Chatsworth CIC3* 13th Liberal
- 2013 – Belton CIC3* 80th Liberal
- 2012 – Burghley CCI4* 24th Liberal
- 2012 – Bramham CCI3* 30th Liberal
- 2011 – Burghley CCI4* 34th Liberal
- 2011 – Hartpury CIC3* 12th Liberal
- 2009 – Luhmuhlen CCI**** 13th (Liberal)
- 2008 – Belton CIC*** 12th (Liberal)
- 2008 – Pau CCI**** 19th (Liberal)
- 2008 – Bramham CCI*** 34th Liberal
- 2008 – Chatsworth CIC*** 14th Liberal, 26th (Millenium Mischief)